- It is the law that every home in Queensland must be fitted with at least 1 smoke alarm. This should be tested weekly and if not hard wired, the battery should be replaced each year on April first - Don't get fooled.
- Smoke from a typical house fire is pitch black. Don't get trapped - have an evacuation plan for yourself and your family, practise it regularly and keep a rechargeable torch in every sleeping room in case of a fire emergency. Fire destroys. Smoke kills.
- Know the location of the nearest fire hydrant to your home.
- Be prepared. Consider purchasing a fire extinguisher and fire blanket for your home.
- Replace worn electrical cables - do not overload too many electrical appliances from a single power outlet.
- Be vigilant when using heaters and electric blankets. Turn them off before going to bed.
- Do not allow rubbish to accumulate around the home - it provides fuel for fires.
- Blow out candles and tea lights when you leave home or go to bed. They should never be left unattended.
- Never smoke in bed.
For further information please visit Home Fire Safety.