The Facilities Management Operations Section is responsible for the day to day maintenance and strategic management of QUT's built assets. Operations' staff provide a technical advisory service to the University's Capital Works Section and the University at large.
Maintenance Services provided by the Operations Section include:
- Operation of the Facilities Management Department's Helpdesk which supports a 24/7 Corrective (breakdown) maintenance service for all QUT's built assets E.g. light and plumbing faults. A workshop is situated on each of the University's campuses.
- Development and management of Deferred Maintenance programs identified via a comprehensive auditing process.
- Management of Preventive Maintenance programs/contracts (E.g. for passenger lifts, air conditioning, fire services, fume cupboard testing etc.)
- Cleaning of buildings and maintenance of the grounds
- Operation of the general use of fleet vehicles located on the campus
- Internal courier mail distribution services
- Furniture acquisition and advice with furniture relocation and disposal
Technical Support Services are provided by the Operations Section as part of the quality control process associated with the delivery of new buildings and services. Ongoing support functions include:
- Development and distribution of Design Standards and Guidelines as reference documents for consultants engaged on building services projects.
- Review of doucumentation issued by consultants to ensure compliance to QUT Design Standards and Guidelines.
- During construction, the Operations Section provides technical supervision and reporting in electrical, mechanical and hydraulic disciplines. Operations Section staff conduct regular on-site visits.
- On completion of the project Operations Section staff audit the quality of 'as constructed' documentation and the Builder's performance in providing 'Defects Liability Period' services to the new facility.
The Operations Section also provides a range of support services to ensure the safe and cost effective management of QUT's extensive built asset portfolio - 40 major buildings with a combined total Gross Floor Area in excess of 225,000m2.
Initiatives in this area include Space Management and Energy Management systems and a proactive Health and Safety program for both internal and external workgroups. A building records archive and management system is maintained and permits web based browsing of drawing and document catalogues and direct viewing of electronically archived documents.
For further information concerning any of the services provided by the Operations Section, please contact Facilities Management Helpdesk #83000